I will be in fact teaching the course on forms of poetry for Grub St. I'm very excited. My syllabus is done (it's only a six-week course), and my course packet is nearly complete (though yet to be copied). I'll also be guest-blogging on the Penny Dreadful (Grub's blog) soon.
In the coming weeks watch this space for interesting links to recent essays on the art and history of form as well as reference links and perhaps links to some of my favorite sonnets, villanelles, sestinas, etc.
To get us started, check out these clever Fibs from A. E. Stallings. Here's more on this quirky and science-y form, from the NYTimes.
Monday, August 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I shall look forward to the postings on poetic technique--so quaint and English (in this age of free verse). Fibs? Hm. I can't say that I think much of this invention. Pseudo-science combined with pseudo-poetry? Syllabic verse is interesting, when used well, by an expert such as Gunn. I quite like Cage's experiments with mesostics. Good luck with the course.
Oh, my God--help me here. So far, I'm proud of my burgeoning success, but I've learned from gutter poets. Sure, I read the past, but I have no idea what eshuneutics just wrote. I do await your knowledge and insights as they fly over my head. I like your blog.
I've never tried syllabics. Can't seem to get a grasp on how it should be used to full effect. Mesostics is new to me. Will have to look into it. Cheers!
Sorry. I've managed to be obscure without meaning to be. http://eshuneutics.blogspot.com/search?q=cage
This link explains mesostics. Mind you that fact that mesostic sounds like masochistic isn't accidental. They are fun, but infuriatingly so.
Cool! Thanks for adding that link!
Post a Comment