They're smarter, sexier, and far more successful than you'll ever be. And they definitely don't speak with a lisp. Meet America's new ruling class—the Alpha Gays.The article has Trevor PISSED! And he makes a good point.
Andy at Towleroad cites this section:
Make way for the A-gays. Moneyed, successful, educated, and comfortable in their own skin, they're fast becoming the new archetype of cosmopolitan masculinity. The urban man's man. They don't own yappy miniature dogs or time-shares in Fort Lauderdale; they own Labradors and four-bedroom summer homes in Sag Harbor. Instead of cruising in gay clubs, they jet to Gstaad or the TED conference, and party at Sundance with Zooey Deschanel. They don't want to be part of any kind of closeted group or velvet mafia."
On (?) a related note, I wanted to post this since I've had itbookmarked forever and STILL haven't had a chance to read through it:
Sexual Orientation and Its Discontents (begins with a YouTube clip of Donald Trump getting frisky with Rudy Giuliani)
http://thisislikesogay.blogspot.com/2008/10/sexual-orientation-and-its-discontents.html


9 comments:
Jesus H with the A-Gay crap. Basically, they are creating a class system within the Gay "community"
whateve yo.
Wow, another way to divide us.
That Details article is a big steaming turd. Trevor is right -- these are the fags who have decided they need to be butch or lipstick lesbos to fit in. They can kiss my big, fat sissy ass.
I'll accept that there are A-gays, But I doubt they're much representative of the community. It does come off as if success might be in terms of a non-gay lifestyle with a teeny hidden touch. There are cultural history and current trends that build upon where we've come from. There has been a lot of reclamation, which ought not be side-stepped and, in fact, isn't. I'd like to have oodles of money, but, hey, I'm a faggot. I can't ever see myself turning my back on my own community. Top notch drag shows, sexy guys with teeny dogs, and bathhouses are just too good to give up. Being a red-blooded queer is not compatible with being a Master of the Universe. Still, I think go where you wish with my blessing. Diversity.
Glad to see everyone already hated on this article, so I don't have to.
A bas, not grease, is the word for any -ocracy, including analocracy.
Analocrats (like all moneyed people) rise to the level of their own irrelevance.
"Basically, they are creating a class system within the Gay 'community.'"
Excuse me, darling. You think that's something new? There have always been class divisions in the gay community. I'm not sure why people are getting their pants in a bunch over this article.
It takes all kind of queens to make up the gay community, but this A-gay bit has a little too much closet smell for me. Very musty and fusty.
ive been calling select friends "Class A Gays" for years now.
I call 'em Heathers, myself.
Post a Comment