The Best LGBT Books of 2009: 56 Writers Select Their Favorites:
...[last summer] when a reader asked the Washington Post for recommendations of “new gay books,” critic Dennis Drabelle responded in writing, “Not many of these are being published anymore, mostly, I think, because the great gay storyline — coming out — isn't such a big deal anymore and has been done to death.” Drabelle’s only suggestion was a British boarding school novel from 1967 long out of print.
Well, Band of Thebes 'redresses that failure', and good on them! The blog "asked a few dozen authors ranging from eminently established prizewinners to emerging kickass wunderkinds to name the best lgbt books of 2009. In turn, their list of favorite reads will become readers' favorite resource for its staggering scope and illumination of the year's finest lgbt novels, story collections, essays, memoirs, nonfiction, graphic books, YA, and poetry"
What's your favorite? Did it make the list?
Monday, December 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Two of the reads I was going to mention were already mentioned here:
Daniel Mendelsohn's translations of Cavafy
Christopher Isherwood
This year I've also been going deeply into Walt Whitman. Probably the most interesting Whitman books I've read this year are Gary Schmidgall's biography, "Walt Whitman: A Gay Life," and his anthology of Whitman's selected poems, which is the only selected edition of Whitman that focuses on his homoerotic contents; so it restores some of Whitman's earlier, more explicit versions of his poems, which Whitman himself toned down later in life.
Thanks for chiming in, Art. I definitely need to read that Whitman book! Thanks for reminding me!
Post a Comment